Backing up your WordPress site should be done daily, weekly or monthly. It’s the best way to keep your keep your post, comments, medias safe for easily retrieval. You might think it’s not necessary or it’s less important, but you never can tell when your WordPress can shut down due to low bandwidth space from your Host or If it may be hacked. There are reason why users back up their site and those reasons are identified below:
1. To keep their Post, media and Comment Safe
2. To easily migrate from one WordPress Host to another and still retain your Posts.
3. To get your post back when your Hosting bandwidth becomes low
4. To get accessible to your Post if your site is hacked.
As a blogger, i backup my post weekly because I feel it is necessary and safe. i won’t wake up one morning and discover that all my post are gone, I always have them safely backed up in my computer. There are lots of WordPress plugins that helps you backup your WordPress site but for users that won’t want to use plugins or are using free WordPress.com hosting plan, you can alternative backup your WordPress site without plugins.
How to Backup Your WordPress Site Without Plugins
1. Login in your wordpress admin by visiting yoursite/wp-admin. For example I will visit the url: http://prolifekits.com/wp-admin and input my username and password and Login.
2. You will be logged into your dashboard. By the left side, go to “Tools” Section and Click on “Export”
3. Now you would be asked to either backup all content or backup only Post or Pages or Medias or Categories. For me I always choose “All Content“. And then Click “Download Export file”
4. Your WordPress Content would be saved into your Computer in a Xml format and the size of the xml format varies with number of post and medias in your blog.
You have successfully backed up your WordPress site.
This process doesn’t backup your plugin and your WordPress themes. It only backups your post, medias and contact forms.
How To Restore Your WordPress Backed Up Content
It is good to know how to backup your Post but another is to know how to restore. Why backup your WordPress site when you can restore them when needed. Below are the steps to restore a WordPress Site Backup without using plugin.
1. Login your WordPress dashboard by visiting yoursite/wp-admin and inputting your username and password.
2. At the Right hand Tools bars. Click and Tools and then “Import”
3. You will notice a list of Import Tools live Blogger, live Journal, Categories and Tag Importer, WordPress. Click Install Now in the WordPress Section.
4. Once you have successfully installed WordPress Import, Click on Run Importor
5. Now Select the file you had earlier backed up and click Upload File and Import as shown in the pic below:
6. It will import all your post, comments, categories, tags and media to your WordPress.
You can now successfully backup and restore your WordPress Site without plugins. If you have any questions, ask using the comment box.
Don’t hesistate to share this post on Facebook, Twitter, whatsapp, google Plus and other Social medias by clicking on the share buttons below